As promised, this month we will discover ways to reduce stress and stay positive. So regardless if your at work or home, try out some of the suggestions below and let us know on Facebook how they worked out for you!
1. If the word "meditation" makes you picture vegetarian type tree huggers on cushions chanting "Om" mantras - you might be missing out on a useful tool to derail some of that stress.
Adding a few moments of mindful meditation to your day can help reduce the stress that builds up as the day goes on. This can be as simple as closing your eyes and focusing on breathing for a few moments. Notice your thoughts but just let them float on by and keep returning to the present moment.
2. Doolde - You heard us right....Doodle! No more being yelled at for doodling away.
Doodling can actually help bring out the creative juices and make you more focused. It may also help you come up with solutions to current challenges and reduce your stress levels.
3. Find the humor! No matter how dull your work may be, you can always find time to seek out some humor. Adding humor to your day will bring your spirits up while knocking down those stress levels.
Did you know, the act of smiling and laughing triggers biological responses that have both long and short term benefits?
There are lots of ways to add humor to your day. Decorate your desk with a few items that make you smile, take a few minutes to listen to a favorite comic or watch a funny video on YouTube or just share a joke with a co-worker.
Get a plant. No joke! If your a desk jockey, being stuck inside all day can be depressing and exacerbate your stress levels. Introducing a bit of the outdoors into your workspace can have a calming affect and even improve your cognitive performance.
Most plants need sunlight, but there are some plants that can handle a windowless space. Choose a plan that makes you happy to look at.
5. Stretch. Pretty obvious but it's surprising how often we forget to do it. Stress and tension are stored in the body and just taking a few seconds to stretch can help it melt away. Add a simple routine of desk stretches to your workday, and both your body and mind will thank you.
6. Exercise. Yep, there’s a plethora of desk exercises you can do at work - or even better, take a 15 minute break and go for a walk, outside if you can!
If you are really into exercising and/or reducing stress, treadmill desks are becoming a thing or even put a mini under-desk bicycle. Yep, for real. Pedaling away can leave your stress behind and ride you right into productivity.
7. Visualization. If chanting "Om's" or doing anything related to mental mindfulness just isnt your thing, try a visualization exercise. Trick you brain and lower your stress by doing some simple forms of daydreaming visualization.
Do nothing for 10 minutes video
If your too stressed to conjure up any perfect daydreams, try doing nothing for 10 minutes by gazing into a video like this one.
This might help you start to visualize your paradise oasis. Since parts of your brain can't tell the difference between reality and imaginary, your body will experience some of the same relaxation effects that you would if you were really there.